How to pack furniture for moving
Whether you have professional movers or you are loading and driving a truck yourself, getting your furniture ready for moving day can be stressful.
You simply need to be prepared and organized. Pack furniture for moving by gathering helpful packing materials, disassembling everything you can and securely wrapping and boxing up all of the pieces and hardware that go with every item.
Here are the steps to make moving much easier:
1- Create a list of what you will be packing and moving.
2- Create a packing material list.
3- Clean your furniture.
4- Clear out anything inside the furniture you are moving.
5- Disassemble anything that can be taken apart.
6- Place any hardware in clear plastic bags that seal.
7- Wrap the disassembled furniture pieces and pack them in boxes.
8- Cover glass table tops with heavy packing paper.
9- Wrap mattresses, sofas and chairs in special plastic covers.
10- Line the floor of the moving truck with furniture blankets to protect the bottoms of your sofas, mattresses and any other pieces that will not be in boxes.
Things to do before storing:
- Decide whether you will do the packing and transport or whether you will use a removals company.
- If you decide to pack and transport the items, make sure you buy all the necessarypacking supplies such as boxes, tape, bubble wrap, paper and a knife cutter.
- If you decide to use a removals company, make sure you contact several companies for a survey in order to compare quotes. Surveys are usually for free in the United Arab Emirates.
- Visit the self storage facility to make sure they can meet your storage requirements. Is the facility air conditioned? The summer months in Dubai are hot and can damage temperature sensitive items such as furniture and equipment. Is the storage facility clean? Make sure the facility is perst controlled regularly. What about access? Can you have frequent access to your possessions? Is insurance offered?
- Are there different size storage units available? Check which storage unit is right for you. If you opt for a removals company to do the packing and transportation, have them do the survey before visiting the self storage facility. This way you would know how much space you would require and it will be easier for you to choose the storage unit.
- Clean your items before storing.
- Store frequently used items at the front of the storage unit.
- Purchase insurance.
- Disassemble all your items to save space and label all the boxes if you are doing the packing.
- Inform the management if you come across anything strange in the warehouse.
- Store anything hazardous such as any flammables i.e. paint or gasoline
- Store anything perishable.
- Pack alot in one box or it will be too heavy to carry.
- Allow anyone else to access your storage unit before informing the storage facility staff.