- Decide whether you will do the packing and transport or whether you will use a removals company.
- If you decide to pack and transport the items, make sure you buy all the necessarypacking supplies such as boxes, tape, bubble wrap, paper and a knife cutter.
- If you decide to use a removals company, make sure you contact several companies for a survey in order to compare quotes. Surveys are usually for free in the United Arab Emirates.
- Visit the self storage facility to make sure they can meet your storage requirements. Is the facility air conditioned? The summer months in Dubai are hot and can damage temperature sensitive items such as furniture and equipment. Is the storage facility clean? Make sure the facility is perst controlled regularly. What about access? Can you have frequent access to your possessions? Is insurance offered?
- Are there different size storage units available? Check which storage unit is right for you. If you opt for a removals company to do the packing and transportation, have them do the survey before visiting the self storage facility. This way you would know how much space you would require and it will be easier for you to choose the storage unit.
- Clean your items before storing.
- Store frequently used items at the front of the storage unit.
- Purchase insurance.
- Disassemble all your items to save space and label all the boxes if you are doing the packing.
- Inform the management if you come across anything strange in the warehouse.
- Store anything hazardous such as any flammables i.e. paint or gasoline
- Store anything perishable.
- Pack alot in one box or it will be too heavy to carry.
- Allow anyone else to access your storage unit before informing the storage facility staff.